Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced that its GCV Series*1 of general purpose engines is undergoing a full model change and the all-new GCV Series engines will go on sale in September 2018 for manufacturers (OEMs) of various power products in Europe. The GCV Series has been popular as a power unit for lawnmowers and pressure washers and its cumulative worldwide production has exceeded 36 million units*2.
While the current GCV Series consists of two models, the GCV160 and GCV190, the all-new GCV Series will offer three models: GCV145 (145 cm3), GCV170 (166 cm3) and GCV200 (201 cm3). Without compromising its excellent fuel economy, the all-new GCV Series realizes class-topping*3 power output and torque by improving combustion technologies through various measures including a change in the combustion chamber design. At the same time, Honda pursued usability as a power unit for power products designed for household use, which includes improvement of startability and a reduction of vibration.
Moreover, the Kumamoto Factory, where the all-new GCV Series engines will be produced, adopted an automated assembly line for GCV engines that utilizes know-how Honda has amassed through the production of motorcycles, which makes possible high-efficiency and high-quality engine production.
Furthermore, the all-new GCV Series engines also will be installed to Honda push-mowers which will go on sale in Australia, North America, Japan and other areas.
- *1GCV Series consists of two models: GCV160 <Total engine displacement: 160cm3, Maximum power output: 3.3kW (4.4PS)> and GCV190 <Total engine displacement: 186cm3, Maximum power output: 3.8kW (5.1PS)>
- *2From June 1997 through March 2018
- *3In the following engine displacement ranges: 140 cm3-150 cm3, 160 cm3-180 cm3 and 200 cm3-210 cm3. Based on Honda internal research as of May 31, 2018.
●Sales plan (for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2019):
(worldwide sales of GCV145, GCV170 and GCV200 combined)
●Key features of the all-new GCV Series:
All-new GCV Series underwent a fundamental overhaul of the engine frame including optimization of the structure and component parts, which resulted in weight reduction of 4% (approximately 0.4 kg)*4 compared to the previous model and the realization of class-topping power output and torque.
- *4This number indicates the comparison between GCV160 and GCV170. In case of the comparison between GCV190 to GCV 200, it is 18% (approximately 2.2 kg).
With further advancement of combustion technologies, including the change in the shape of the combustion chamber from a bathtub design to a pent-roof design, the all-new GCV Series realized low exhaust emissions at the top level in its class*5. The all-new GCV Series complies with the EU Stage V *6 EU emission regulation which will take effect in 2019 as one of the most stringent emissions standards in the world. Moreover, startability was further improved for the all-new GCV Series engines in pursuit of its usability as a power unit for power products for household use.
- *5Based on Honda internal research as of May 31, 2018.
- *6Takes effect on January 1, 2019.
○Low noise and vibration:
The sound quality of exhaust noise was improved through the adoption of a plastic muffler protector and the improvement of the internal structure of the muffler. Moreover, vibration was reduced through the optimization of the shape of the crankshaft.
While maintaining installation compatibility such as the previous engine mount position, the all-new GCV Series engines adopt a newly-designed top cover which expands the degree of freedom in product design for OEMs.
○Ease of use:
Ease of use was enhanced through various changes including optimization of the oil filler position and increasing the diameter of the fuel filler opening.
●Key specifications of the all-new GCV Series:
|Engine type||Air-cooled 4-stroke single-cylinder gasoline engine (OHV)|
|Number of cylinders/bore x stroke (mm)||1/56×59||1/60×59||1/66×59|
|Total displacement (cm3)||145||166||201|
|Maximum power output
|Rated output (kW[PS]/rpm)||2.1[2.9]/3,000||2.4[3.3]/3,000||2.8[3.8]/3,000|
|Fuel consumption (L/h)
<at continuous rated output at 3,600rpm>
|Fuel type||Automotive-grade unleaded gasoline|
|Fuel tank capacity (L)||0.9|
|Engine oil reservoir capacity（L）||0.4|
|Ignition system||Transistor magneto|
|Governor system||Centrifugal flyweight type|
|Speed control system||Mechanical|
|Air cleaner||Dry (paper)|
|Lubrication system||Forced spray|
|Total lengths (mm)||415|
|Total width (mm)||330|
|Total height (mm)*7||359|
|Dry weight (kg)||10.1|
|Starting system||Recoil starter|
|Choke types||Manual and automatic|
- *The power ratings of the engines indicated in the table are the net power output tested on a production engine model and measured in accordance with SAE J1349 at 3,600 rpm (maximum power output) and 2,500 rpm (maximum torque). Mass production engines may vary from these values. Actual power output for the engine installed in the final product will vary depending on numerous factors including the engine speed in application, environmental conditions, maintenance and other variables.
- *7Total height varies depending on model type. The height indicated here is based on the N3 type crankshaft.