XL750 TRANSALP technology.
The XL600V TRANSALP, which debuted in 1986, was popularised as "a mid-size sports bike that offers all-round enjoyment from city to highway, from mountain passes to dirt roads, and as the first Honda dual-purpose bike to feature a fairing that enhances comfort at high speeds, it is a comfortable way to enjoy long tours on a grand scale".
The XL650V TRANSALP in 2000 and the XL700V TRANSALP in 2008 matured the bike's appeal. The common appeal of successive generations of TRANSALPs was their lightweight, compact chassis for easy riding, large fairings for comfort, large-diameter spoked wheels for good running characteristics and comfortable touring performance on both paved and unpaved roads.
The new XL750 TRANSALP is designed for all-round, magnificent-scale long touring performance in comfort, from city to motorway, from mountain passes to unpaved roads. The aim was to enable you to enjoy a motorcycling lifestyle that is freer and more adventurous than ever before.
All-arounder perfectly sized for going anywhere from an everyday trip to an around-the-world journey
The development team developed the XL750 TRANSALP under the concept of 'New generation TRANSALP - a just right-sized all-rounder that can go anywhere, from daily life to round-the-world tours'. The key was to strike a balance at a high level between the "easy handling" and "comfortable touring performance on both paved and unpaved roads" that have been inherited from previous generations of TRANSALP.
The key points of development were "compatibility between ease of handling on short everyday distances and comfort when travelling long distances or at high speeds on holidays", "compatibility between nimbleness on paved roads and driving performance on unpaved roads" and "abundant and substantial equipment to stimulate the spirit of adventure", to create a dream-like partner for those seeking "comfortable long touring on a grand scale and enriching your precious holidays". We aimed to create a model that would be a reliable partner for those seeking a dreamlike time,
Friendly, dependable and tough design
To create a sense of adventure in a wide range of usability, from everyday city riding to weekend leisure riding, we pursued a friendly and dependable toughness design with the keywords FRIENDLINESS & TOUGHNESS.
With its dignified style and tough, angular design, it was designed to be a just-right all-rounder that can be ridden lightly without being overbearing, and to be accepted by a wide range of users.
Large fairing with flush surface for comfort on highways, balancing wind protection and aerodynamic performance at a high dimension.With a minimum ground clearance (212 mm) for off-road riding and XL750 TRANSALP-inspired details throughout, it embodies an adventure style that inspires a sense of adventure.
Headlight and front area
The frontal area is designed with a sense of unity, starting from the headlights, which are compact in design while ensuring night visibility, and the integrated screen, which balances a fearless facial expression, wind protection and aerodynamic performance. The large shrouds that wrap around the front from both sides also give the vehicle an adventure style that emphasises toughness.
Tail lamp and rear area
The tough rear area design is appropriate for the adventure style, with an exclusive aluminium rear carrier with a functional presence and LED tail lamps that produce a three-dimensional light, balanced with the overall bodywork.
Three colour variations are available to complement the style that the XL750 TRANSALP has to offer.
Riding and power unit
Easy everyday handling and a pulsing feel and an exciting sense of pulse.
Key points in the development of the XL750 TRANSALP "New generation TRANSALP Just the right size all-rounder that can go anywhere from everyday life to round the world", together with fuel efficiency,
emissions and light weight. Starting from the basic specifications such as engine type, displacement, bores and strokes, etc., to the details of components like crank case, cylinder head, cylinder, crank, pistons, conrod,
transmission, etc., a study was made for geometry optimization using the latest numerical calculation technologies such as CAE and CFD in order to design a new engine. Due to application of strokes short for
an inline 2-cylinde engine, a compact, light-weight, and high-power power unit has been developed.
- ● The newly developed 755 cc 270° crank in-line two-cylinder engine with 270° crank inline two-cylinder engine has been designed to have a manageable torque and pulse output characteristic in the normal operating range, an exciting blow-up at high revs and a light and powerful output characteristic.
- ● The intake layout is a downdraft structure, aiming for a compact and smooth intake layout.
- ● The same new Vortex Air Flow Duct mechanism as on the CB750 HORNET is used to provide direct drivability characteristics throughout the entire range, from the throttle opening to the high rpm range.
- ● The engine has power characteristics that provide a rising feeling with no valleys from idling to peak output rpm, while the optimised shape of the exterior parts that make up the air intake path, longer ratios through the use of larger diameter tyres and TBW settings enhance the low rpm tenacity and ease of handling that is typical of TRANSALP. The duct tube length including the shroud is longer and the volume is larger, resulting in improved low and mid-range pulse and power characteristics that are typical of TRANSALP.
- ● A 450 kPa high fuel pressure fuel pump and micronised injectors improve throttle response in the fully closed to mid-open throttle range (around 3,000 to 8,000 rpmn) and provide a racy ride on winding roads.
- ● The particularly stimulating blow-off feeling from around 7,000 rpm is one of the main attractions of this model. The sporty, pulsing intake and exhaust sounds provide further excitement.
To make the engine lightweight, compact and powerful
In order to realise a model that can be enjoyed comfortably on a grand scale all-round, from city streets to motorways, from mountain passes to unpaved roads, the engine must be lightweight, compact and have high power output. The following technologies have been developed to balance these three elements at a high dimension.
- ① Primary drive gear can serve as a balancer drive gear for both front and rear to reduce weight and size.
- ② The 270-degree crank was adopted to cancel the secondary oscillation. Thanks to this application, even though the basic arrangement includes one weight for the light and compact front balancer and another for the rear balancer, the primary vibrations and force couple can be cancelled with ingenious efforts made to the layout and orientation.
- ③ The new model incorporates a unicam valvetrain already applied to the CRF450R and CRF1100. While smaller valve angle made possible by one cam facilitates more efficient combustion, linear layout from the throttle body to the intake port contributes to improved output. This application also allows the light-weight and compact layout and reduction in friction.
- ④ The water pump is now located inside the AGC cover to reduce weight and size.
- ⑤ Ni-SiC plating made by Kumamoto Factory, plating applied to the CBR1000RR-R, CRF450R, and F1 engines is used, which helps reduction in friction, downsizing of pistons, and weight reduction of the crankshaft.
- ⑥ The vortex air flow ducts located right and left of the vehicle enhance intake efficiency in low to mid-speed ranges to produce a powerful torque feel. In addition, the third duct designed to the bottom of the air cleaner improves response to sudden opening of the throttle.
- ⑦ The same high fuel pressure (450kPa) as that for the CBR1000RR-R improves combustion characteristics, resulting in better throttle responses and powerful acceleration in the low and mid RPM ranges.
- ⑧ The assist and slipper clutch is provided which includes an assist function to reduce the operation load of the clutch lever as well as a slipper function to mitigate impacts from rapid engine braking accompanying downshifting.
- ⑨ Application of the FLS (F.C.C. LEANING SEGMENT) has reduced clutch drag torque by 30% compared to before to improve clutch disengagement performance for a nimble shifting feel. Furthermore, more oil can be supplied to clutch discs, making the clutch design well balanced between higher durability and performance.
＊Assist and slipper clutch and FLS are registered trademarks of F.C.C. Co., Ltd.
Switchable riding mode
In order to realise the development concept, we pursued "both ease of handling over short everyday distances and comfort when driving long distances on holidays and at high speeds" and "both nimbleness on paved roads and drivability on unpaved roads".
The Throttle By Wire (TBW) system offers a total of five modes: four modes that combine power / engine brake / HSTC* / ABS control in conjunction with each other, and one mode that can be adjusted according to one's own preferences.
Handling, riding dynamics and comfort
For all-round ease of handling with both stability and lightness.
The new model is designed to achieve "both ease of handling over short everyday distances and comfort over long holiday distances and at high speeds" and "lightness on paved roads, stability over long distances and runnability on unpaved roads." To achieve this, the structure/layout was optimized and the weight of each part was reduced, and the form was steel diamond (integrated rear frame).
The frame is 1: Thinner stiffener 2: Thinner main/downpipes 3: Optimisation of cushion mount layout 4: Optimisation of pivot geometry 5: Thinner seat rail using high-tensile steel tubing, resulting in a weight reduction to 18.3 kg. (CB500X: 20.3 kg, NC750X: 22.2 kg)
The size and manoeuvrability make it easy to make U-turns on narrow alleys and forest roads (Curb Weight 208 kg, steering wheel turning angle 42°, minimum circle radius 2.6 m). Tandem comfort that makes you want to tour long distances, and a riding position with a degree of freedom that allows you to stand comfortably on rough terrain.
Aiming for the BEST TOTAL BALANCE from daily commuting to on/off-road touring, the wheel travel (200 mm front / 190 mm rear), wheelbase (1,561 mm), caster angle (27°) and Trail (110.6mm). The vehicle is nimble off-road, making you want to take a detour on the dirt roads you see on your travels, and with a minimum ground clearance (212 mm), it offers driving performance that allows you to ride over rough surfaces without worrying about the road.
For ensuring off-road run-through performance and neutral handling in a various types of road environment including on and off roads; SHOWA (Hitachi Astemo,Ltd.) upside-down front fork with inner pipe of diameter 43 mm and SFF-CA of 200 mm strokes. Forged aluminum bottom bridge and cast aluminum top bridge for lighter weight and optimum balance between strength and rigidity＊SFF-CA is registered trademarks of SHOWA(Hitachi Astemo,Ltd.).
SHOWA (Hitachi Astemo,Ltd.) rear suspension with 190 mm strokes, spring preload adjuster, pressurized shock absorber with a separate tank and Pro Link aluminums hybrid swing arm for high maneuverability during off-road riding and nimble riding performance made possible by weight reduction. Comfort and nimble handling characteristics have been achieved by reducing unsprung weight. The rigidity balance has been optimised to provide an enjoyable ride with both turning performance and stability.
The front brake uses a pin-sliding 2-pot caliper and Φ310 mm double disc, while the rear brake uses a 1-pot caliper and Φ256 mm single disc. Linear potency characteristics ensure stable chassis behavior during braking. Enjoy riding with a sense of security from paved to unpaved roads.
・Screen height: Provides wind-resistant performance and visibility ahead
・Screen width: Compact in size. Provides comfort by reducing wind entrainment
・Sense of lightness at low speeds and stability at high speeds.
Effects of accessory fairing
・Tall wind screen: Reduces head wobbles and wind noises on a highway to improve comfort during high-speed cruising
・Deflector A: Improves wind-resistant performance around shoulders and keeps clothing from fluttering
Safe and well-equipped equipment and supplies
Fully equipped Meter area
The 5.0" TFT. full-colour LCD multi-information display makes it easy to see and intuitively handle a wealth of information. The bright, easy-to-read TFT panel allows the rider to concentrate on riding, while still being able to accurately recognise information from the screen.
Automatic turn signal canceller
Honda’s original system automatically cancels a turn signal upon completion of a right/left turn or lane change.
This system determines if the vehicle is turning, going straight, etc., based on information from vehicle speed sensors installed at front and rear wheels which detect wheel speed difference generated by different front and rear wheel paths during a turn. Then, the completion of the lane change or a right/left turn is communicated to the body control unit to automatically cancel the turn signal.
Emergency stop signal
The new mode features the emergency stop signal that quickly communicates sudden braking to the vehicles behind.
When the ABS modulator detects sudden braking during a ride, the turn signal relay flashes hazard lamps at a high speed to warn the vehicles behind.*This system is meant to quickly communicate sudden braking to the vehicles behind. Please refrain from unnecessary sudden braking and ride safely.
■ Honda Smartphone Voice Control System diagram
Honda Smartphone Voice Control system (HSVCS)
Nowadays, a smartphone has become an information terminal personalized according to the user’s needs ranging from “convenience” to “fun to be connected with a wider circle of friends”. As it has spread over globally, immediacy and ease of receiving information have been upgraded repeatedly. People more and more need to access the information in the smartphone when they are on the move.
Considering the current situation and the future outlook, Honda has developed the HSVCS in-house so that the user can utilize information resources as is, in his/her smartphone optimized by him/herself.
After the purchase of the vehicle, an HSVCS-specific app needs to be downloaded to a smartphone (compatible with Android OS and BluetoothⓇ 4.2 or later). Once the smartphone is connected with the vehicle via Bluetooth, the rider follows the voice guidance coming from the headset capable of voice input and operates a 4-way switch* located on the left handlebar to use the following contents in his/her smartphone without letting go of the handle grip. Each piece of information is communicated to the rider by way of a voice from the headset and simple indications on the meter display.
・ Phone calls ・ Navigation (Turn-by-turn) ・ Music ・ Text messaging
Taking into account that the smartphone would be in use for long hours to access to contents such as the GPS navigation, a USB port is provided inside the luggage space. The HSVCS has made it possible to exchange information more seamlessly, contributing to convenience of the new model.*The iOS-compatible version will be adapted gradually from October 2010 onwards.