TOKYO, Japan, July 19, 2018 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. will begin sales of the Clarity PHEV, a new plug-in hybrid model added to the Clarity series, on July 20, 2018 at dealerships across Japan.
Honda has been pursuing the development of electrified vehicles with the intention to electrify two-thirds of its global automobile sales by around 2030. The Clarity PHEV is a plug-in hybrid model that combines excellent environmental performance and the appealing features of a high-class sedan model such as powerful EV driving performance, high-quality cabin space that comfortably accommodates five adult occupants and a high-capacity cargo space.
On the basis of Sport Hybrid i-MMD, Honda’s innovative 2-motor hybrid system, the performance of electrification components was further improved, including an increase in battery capacity and converter output. As a result, the Clarity PHEV realized EV driving (driving by battery charge) range*1 of 114.6 km*2. Moreover, the significant increase in driving force used for EV driving resulted in a significant increase in the range where EV driving is sustained, including from start-up to high-speed range.
The Clarity PHEV operates in three different driving modes – EV Drive, Hybrid Drive and Engine Drive – depending on the battery charge status and driving situation, and is able to shift seamlessly from one mode to another to realize highly efficient driving.
In addition to a charge port for normal charging, the Clarity PHEV features a charge port for fast charging*3 and external power output, both as standard equipment. By connecting to a compatible external output device, the Clarity PHEV can supply electricity to external devices*4.
In conjunction with the start of the Clarity PHEV sales, Honda has been installing fast chargers to Honda Cars dealership locations across Japan. In addition, Honda is offering the Honda Charging Service, Honda’s original charging card service, which enables service users to use approximately 20,800 chargers*5 on the network of Nippon Charge Service LLC (NCS).*6 Including these initiatives to increase the number of chargers available for our customers, Honda will continue working toward full-fledged popularization of electrified vehicles.
- *1EV range (range the vehicle drives by battery charge) is measured under certain preset conditions. The EV range can vary significantly based on the driving environment (climate, traffic congestions, etc.) and driving conditions (sudden start, use of air-conditioning units, etc.). Depending on the remaining battery charge and use of air-conditioning units, EV driving is not available under certain conditions.
- *2JC08 mode: 114.6km, WLTC mode: 101.0km (WLTC, the Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Cycles, mode is an international driving mode which consists of three different driving modes -- city driving, suburban area driving and highway driving – allocated proportionally to average driving time in each mode.
- *3Compatible with CHAdeMO, the international standards for DC charging for electric vehicles, promoted by CHAdeMO Association.
- *4Maximum power supply of 3kW
- *5Honda internal research as of May 2018.
- *6NCS is an abbreviated name for Nippon Charge Service LLC, which is a company established by four automakers including Honda. For more details about NCS and the charging stand locator, please access the website of NCS (https://www.nippon-juden.co.jp)
●Sales plan (in Japan, first year): 1,000 units
●Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (in Japan):
|Type||Max Number of Occupants||Engine||Transmission||Drive
||Price including 8% consumption tax||Price excluding consumption tax|
|Clarity PHEV||5||1.5L Atkinson-cycle DOHC i-VTEC
|Electric CVT||FF||5,880,600 yen||5,445,000 yen|
- *The price does not include the insurance premium, taxes (excluding consumption tax) and cost related to vehicle registration.
- *Based on the automobile recycling law in Japan, a separate recycling charge will be necessary. The recycling charge includes a recycling deposit (cost necessary to recycle shredder dust, airbags, chlorofluorocarbon (CFCs) and information management cost) and a fund management cost.
●Body colors (Total 6 colors) ★colors at additional cost of 43,200 yen (40,000 without consumption tax)
- Cobalt Blue Pearl
- Premium Deep Rosso Pearl ★
- Platinum White Pearl ★
- Super Platinum Metallic ★
- Modern Steel Metallic
- Crystal Black Pearl
●Interior colors (Total 2 colors)
- White Ivory
(Available with body color of Cobalt Blue Pearl, Premium Deep Rosso Pearl or Platinum White Pearl)
(Available with body color of Super Platinum Metallic, Modern Steel Metallic or Crystal Black Pearl)
<Key features of the Clarity PHEV>
Sport Hybrid i-MMD Plug-in realizes EV driving (driving by battery charge) range of 114.6km*2
- The combination of a 1.5-liter Atkinson cycle inline 4-cylinder engine and 2-motor hybrid system was adopted for the first time for any Honda vehicle. This combination helped the Clarity PHEV to realize both powerful driving with motor output with maximum output of 135kw [184PS] and maximum torque of 315N・m [31.2kgf・m] and the EV driving (driving by battery charge) range*1 of 114.6 km*2. Moreover, improvement of thermal efficiency and reduction of emissions were pursued for the 1.5-liter Atkinson cycle inline 4-cylinder engine, and the maximum thermal efficiency of 40.5%*7 was achieved, which is at the world’s top level*8.
- The Intelligent Power Unit (IPU), which combines a high-capacity/high-power battery 17.0 kWh battery, were made thin and placed underneath the floor, and the harness and 12V DC-DC converter are placed in the center tunnel, which enabled a spacious cabin and a sedan form with a low vehicle height. Moreover, adopting a water-cooling method for the battery, efficient cooling with a compact layout made it possible to downsize the battery and increase the battery durability.
- *7Honda internal measurement
- *8Among 1.5-liter gasoline-powered engines. Honda internal research as of July 2018.
Three driving modes realize high-efficiency driving primarily with EV driving
- The Clarity PHEV operates in three different driving modes – EV Drive, Hybrid Drive and Engine Drive, depending on the battery charge status and driving situation, and is able to shift seamlessly from one mode to another to realize highly efficient driving.
Clicking mechanism installed to the accelerator pedal enables the driver to intuitively understand the upper limit of EV driving
- When the driver depresses the accelerator pedal to a certain point, the driver feels a click (reaction) which is similar to that of pressing a switch button. While driving on the driver-selectable Econ mode, if the driver depresses the accelerator pedal to a point just before it hits the clicking point, engine engagement will be suppressed and EV driving will be sustained longer.
Equipped with the fast charging function, which makes it easier to charge on the go
- In addition to a charge port for normal charging, the Clarity PHEV features a charge port for fast charging*3 and external power output, both as standard equipment. The fast charge based on CHAdeMO international standards provides an 80% charge in approximately 30 minutes*9. Clarity PHEV features the “Comfort Charge” function, which enables the use of air-conditioning units, audio system, seat heater and additional equipment during fast charging, which enables occupant(s) to stay comfortably inside the vehicle while the Power mode is turned on during fast charging.
- *9Charging time to recover 80% charge from the point where estimated EV drive range is zero. Charging time and chargeable capacity vary depending on the specifications of the fast charger, the environmental temperature of the surrounding area and remaining battery charge.
Charging stand locator function on InterNavi
- Honda InterNavi, standard equipment of the Clarity PHEV, enables the users to quickly search the location of charging stands on the NCS*6 network. In addition to route guidance to the charging stand, the InterNavi provides other information such as availability of a particular charger.
A high-quality cabin of high-class sedan that accommodates five occupants
- Features expected for a high-class sedan, namely a cabin that comfortably accommodates five occupants, a large cargo space and aerodynamic form with a low vehicle height were realized by placing the thin IPU underneath the floor and fuel tank under the cargo space.
Advanced functions that enable human-vehicle connections through communication technologies
- By using a dedicated smartphone app, Honda Remote App, vehicle information such as the remaining range, the remaining charge of the high-voltage battery and cabin temperature can be obtained via smartphone. Moreover, the app enables the user to set a timer for charging, open the charge port lid, turn on/off the air-conditioning unit and set a timer to turn on the air-conditioning unit based on the departure time. Furthermore, a Bluetooth*10 connection was adopted to ensure the use of some functions under a highly responsive communication status. Such functions include receiving notification when the vehicle was left unlocked or doors are left open and using the “Car Finder” which helps find the car in large parking lot.
- *10Bluetooth® is a registered trade market of Bluetooth Inc. based in the U.S. When the user is close to the vehicle it will be connected via Bluetooth, and when the user is away from the vehicle it will automatically switch to internet connection.
Clarity PHEV features the Honda SENSINGTM suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies as standard equipment
<Functions included in Honda SENSING for the Clarity PHEV>
*Qualifies for the Safety Support Car (Sapo Car) S <Basic+> category
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)
- Pedestrian Collision Mitigation Steering System
- False Start Prevention
- Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) System
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
- Traffic Sign Recognition
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
- Lead Car Departure Notification System
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with low-speed follow