TOKYO, Japan, July 6, 2018 - Honda announced that the latest addition to the PCX series popular for its stylish design and environmentally friendly engines, the PCX HYBRID, the world’s first*1 mass-produced motorized scooter (125cc or less) equipped with a motorcycle hybrid system, will go on sale in Japan*2 on Friday, September 14.
PCX HYBRID (Pearl Dark Night Blue)
The PCX HYBRID, based on the PCX released in April 2018, is powered by a new high-output lithium ion battery, adding drive assist to the ACG starter that conventionally starts the engine and generates electricity. By a motor assisting the engine, the PCX HYBRID realizes sharper throttle response and superior performance compared to conventional scooters in the same class*3, while maintaining the PCX engine’s characteristic quietness and feel of quality. Two motor assist modes allow the rider to choose the level of motor assist: “D” mode provides comfortable riding with suitable assist and exceptional fuel economy, and “S” mode provides stronger assist for a sporty ride.
The PCX series is powered by a durable, quiet and highly fuel efficient global scooter engine “eSP”*4 mounted on a high-rigidity double-cradle frame. All-LED lights and continuously flowing curves from the front to rear make the PCX’s styling elegant and relaxed. Convenient features such as the Honda SMART Key system add to the series’ popularity among a wide range of customers.
- *1 As of July 2018 (Honda research)
- *2 PCX HYBRID is available as build to order from Honda EV motorcycle dealerships.
- *3 Honda 4-stroke 125cc scooters
- *4 eSP: enhanced Smart Power. Honda’s scooter engines with enhanced environmental and power performance, equipped with Honda’s fuel-efficient technologies and advanced technologies such as the ACG starter.
PCX HYBRID (Pearl Dark Night Blue)
●Planned sales (Japan-domestic / annual)
●Recommended retail price (incl. 8% consumption tax)
432,000 yen (400,000 yen excl. tax)
- *Price (includes recycle fees) does not include insurance premium, taxes (excluding consumption tax) and cost related to vehicle registration.
PCX Hybrid Features
World’s first hybrid system for mass-produced motorcycles
The PCX HYBRID’s compact hybrid system fits within the PCX’s chassis, realizing motor-assisted agile throttle response and high performance, while retaining the PCX’s versatility.
- The engine is started and assisted by an ACG starter (with drive assist) controlled by the Power Drive Unit (PDU) which determines assist amount and monitors the high-output 48V lithium ion battery.
- The ACG starter assists for 4 seconds*5 after activated by throttle operation. The assist amount is determined according to the amount of throttle, and enables agile acceleration according to ride conditions while maintaining ease of use equivalent to the PCX.
- Increased torque due to motor assist realizes stronger acceleration, and agile throttle response only a motor can provide.
- Two motor assist modes, “D” mode for comfortable riding with suitable assist and better fuel economy, and “S” mode with stronger assist for a sporty ride, can be selected according to ride conditions and rider preference.
- Compact battery unit houses both high energy-density lithium ion battery and Battery Management Unit (BMU) that monitors remaining charge.
- By utilizing the 125cc scooter’s limited space, such as positioning the lithium ion battery to the rear of the 23-liter*6 capacity luggage box (which can stow one full-face helmet※7), and the PDU within the front cover, the PCX HYBRID retains the PCX’s versatility, relaxed riding position, and ease of handling.
- The instrument panel clearly displays various hybrid system details. In addition to speed, time, and average fuel consumption, the panel displays motor assist mode and amount, lithium ion battery charge status, level and remaining charge.
- The PCX HYBRID’s idling stop system has a shorter start time than the PCX, and contributes to quietness while stationary and improved fuel economy.
- *5 Motor assist operation and duration depends on throttle amount, engine speed, and lithium ion battery state. Assist provides maximum torque for the first 3 seconds, which then decreases over the next second.
- *6 Honda measurement
- *7 Some helmets may not fit due to shape or size.
Advanced, suave styling emphasizes beauty and strength
- Continuously flowing curves from the front to rear make the PCX’s styling elegant and relaxed. Advanced and suave styling is enhanced with LED lights all around, with blue accenting for the headlight’s signature (position) light bracket and tail light inner lens.
- The PCX HYBRID will be available in Pearl Dark Night Blue, a color scheme emphasizing the advanced and premium nature of the hybrid scooter.
Rich features for ease of use
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) for the front wheel
- Honda SMART Key system allows the rider to unlock the main switch knob by simply approaching the PCX HYBRID without the need to remove the smart key from garments.
|Length x Width x Height||
|Minimum ground clearance||
|Minimum turning circle||
Engine / type
|JF84E-K96 / water-cooled 4-stroke 1-cylinder OHC|
|Bore x Stroke||
|Compressions ratio ★||11.0|
|Motor rated output（kW）||0.36|
As submitted to Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport
|55.0（60）＜2 people seated＞|
|51.9 (Class 1)＜1 person seated＞|
|Fuel supply system||PGM-FI electronic fuel injection|
|Ignition ★||Full transistor battery-ignited|
|Fuel tank capacity||
|Main battery||Lithium ion|
|Gears||Continuously variable (V-Matic)|
|Tire Size||Front||100/80-14M/C 48P|
|Braking System||Front||Hydraulic disc|
|Rear||Mechanical leading / trailing|
|Rear||Unit swing arm|
■Road Vehicles Act Type Certification Value (★ Honda official specifications)
■Manufacturer: Honda Vietnam Co., Ltd. / Manufactured in: Vietnam / Importer: Honda Motor Co., Ltd.
- *8Fuel consumption calculated according to pre-determined test conditions. Performance may vary according to many factors including the customer’s environment (weather, traffic), riding style, bike condition (features, specifications) and maintenance.
- *9 Steady state fuel economy is calculated by measuring fuel consumption at a constant speed.
- *10 WMTC mode values are calculated from exhaust gas tests measured during real world riding including starting, accelerating and stopping, according to international standards.