- Clarity Fuel Cell is competitively priced at $369 a month with $15,000 of hydrogen fuel, spacious 5-passenger cabin, eligible California "White Sticker" single occupant HOV access, and a multitude of other benefits
- EPA driving range rating of 366 miles, highest of all zero-emission vehicles in the U.S.
TORRANCE, Calif., USA, December 19, 2016 - Customer deliveries of Honda's third-generation fuel cell vehicle, the 2017 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell, began today at select Honda dealerships across Southern California. Honda customers leasing the new Clarity Fuel Cell will enjoy all the benefits of driving the most advanced zero-emissions vehicle on the road today, including its ultra-low carbon footprint, comfortable seating for five, and $15,000 worth of hydrogen fuel. In addition, the Clarity Fuel Cell has the highest EPA driving range rating of any zero-emission vehicle in America, including fuel cell and battery electric vehicles, with a 366 mile range and fuel economy rating of 68 combined MPGe (miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent)*1.
Honda delivered its 2017 Clarity Fuel Cells on December 19, 2016 on the Torrance, Calif., campus of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
"The Honda Clarity Fuel Cell has arrived as the next big leap forward in electric drive mobility, with next-generation style, fun-to-drive performance and customer comfort," said Steve Center, vice president of the Environmental Business Development Office at American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "In the year ahead, we will continue the rollout of the new Clarity series of electrified vehicles, to include battery-electric and plug-in hybrid models."
Retail leasing of the Clarity Fuel Cell is now available through Honda's expanded network of 12 approved dealerships located in select California markets, including six dealerships in Southern California, five in the Bay Area, and one in Sacramento. Honda will further develop its fuel cell vehicle dealer network as the network of public hydrogen fueling stations expands across the state.
The Clarity Fuel Cell is available for the competitive introductory lease price of $369 a month for 36 months with $2,868 due at signing*2. The lease terms include an attractive mileage allowance of 20,000 miles per year, up to $15,000 of hydrogen fuel, up to 21 days of an Avis Luxury Rental in California, 24/7 roadside assistance, and eligibility for California "White Sticker" single occupant HOV access.
The first deliveries of the Clarity Fuel Cell were celebrated on the Torrance, Calif., campus of American Honda Motor Co, Inc., where six Clarity Fuel Cell customers participated in a ceremonial delivery event after leasing their car from one of Honda's six fuel cell vehicle dealerships in Southern California. The participating dealerships are Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance, Culver City Honda, Keyes Woodland Hills Honda, Honda of Pasadena, Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos, and Norm Reeves Honda in Irvine.
The first six customers of the 2017 Clarity Fuel Cell are previous owners of Honda's second-generation fuel cell vehicle, the Clarity FCX. These customers have grown with the development and deployment of Honda's fuel cell vehicles, and have provided feedback of their real-world use of the FCX to influence today's customer experience of the Clarity Fuel Cell. The customers are:
- Jon Spallino, private securities investor and world's first fuel cell vehicle individual customer with the 2005 FCX, whose new Clarity Fuel Cell becomes his third Honda fuel cell vehicle
- Jack Cusick, assistant principal of Newport Harbor High School
- Jackie Keller, founder of NutriFit, LLC™ healthy meal services
- Jim Salomon, president at Questar Construction
- Karen Thorp, deputy district attorney for the County of Los Angeles
- Terry Tamminen, CEO of the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation
Customers interested in the Clarity Fuel Cell are encouraged to visit http://automobiles.honda.com/clarity, where they can receive more information and sign up for the opportunity to become a Clarity Fuel Cell customer.
About the Honda Clarity Fuel Cell
Technological innovations to the Clarity Fuel Cell have created a fuel cell stack that is 33 percent more compact than its predecessor with a 60 percent increase in power density compared to the outgoing Honda FCX Clarity. The more compact fuel cell and integrated powertrain, comparable in size to a V-6 engine, now fits entirely under the hood of the car, allowing for a more spacious cabin with seating for five passengers. The Clarity Fuel Cell features a class-leading driving range rating for zero-emission vehicles with its EPA range rating of 366 miles, with a refueling time of approximately three to five minutes using 70 MPa refueling stations.
As the progression in Honda's dynamic FCV styling, the Honda Clarity Fuel Cell features a low, wide aerodynamic body with clean character lines. The interior achieves a refined and harmonious experience using rich materials and intuitive, streamlined controls. Additional features include the Honda Sensing™ suite of safety and driver assistive technologies, Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ for smartphone connectivity, distinctive LED exterior lighting, and 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels. The Clarity Fuel Cell is available in Crystal Black Pearl, White Orchid Pearl and signature Bordeaux Red Metallic exterior paint schemes.
Honda Fuel Cell Vehicle Leadership
Honda has led the industry for nearly two decades in the development and deployment of fuel cell vehicle technology through extensive real-world testing and customer deployments, including the world's first government fleet customers, first-ever retail consumer leasing program, and first FCV dealership network. Since the introduction of its first-generation fuel cell vehicle, the FCX, in 2002, Honda has made significant technological advancements in fuel cell vehicle operation in both hot and sub-freezing weather, while meeting customer expectations and safety regulations.
Honda's second-generation fuel cell vehicle, the FCX Clarity, launched in July 2008 and was quickly heralded as a technological breakthrough in the areas of design, packaging and efficiency. As the world's first dedicated platform fuel cell vehicle, the FCX Clarity was powered by the smaller and lighter Honda V-flow fuel cell stack positioned in the center tunnel of the vehicle, with the smooth high torque front-wheel drive electric motor, providing performance on par with a gasoline powered sedan, including a 240 mile EPA driving range rating.
Honda has deployed fuel cell vehicles in the U.S., Germany and Japan, including the FCX Clarity that was named the 2009 World Green Car. Honda has delivered these vehicles to individual retail consumers in the U.S. and collected valuable feedback concerning real-world use of both fuel cell vehicles and public hydrogen refueling stations.
Honda Fuel Cell Vehicle Firsts
Honda fuel cell technology firsts include:
- The first EPA- and CARB-certified fuel cell vehicle (July 2002)
- The world's first production fuel cell vehicle, introduced to the U.S. and Japan (December 2002)
- The first fuel cell vehicle to start and operate in sub-freezing temperatures (2003)
- The first fuel cell vehicle leased to an individual customer (July 2005)
- The first manufacturer to build and produce a dedicated fuel cell vehicle (FCX Clarity) on a production line specifically made for fuel cell vehicles (2008)
- The first manufacturer to create a fuel cell vehicle dealer network (2008)
Honda Commitment to the Environment
Based on its vision of "Blue Skies for our Children," Honda is working to advance technologies that address society's environmental and energy concerns. Honda is targeting a 50 percent reduction in its total company CO2 emissions on a global basis by 2050, compared to 2000 levels. The Clarity Fuel Cell is the first of the Clarity Series to come to the American market. Soon to join the Clarity Fuel Cell will be the new Clarity Electric and Clarity Plug-In Hybrid in 2017, as the company strives to realize significant growth in sales of electrified vehicles.
- *169 city / 67 highway / 68 combined miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent (MPGe) rating; 366-mile driving range rating. Based on 2017 EPA ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your MPGe and driving range will vary based on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, powertrain condition, and other factors.
- *2Includes down payment with no security deposit. Excludes taxes, registration, license and dealer fees. For well qualified lessees. Subject to availability beginning December 2016 to California residents on approved credit through Honda Financial Services. Closed end lease for 2017 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell for well qualified lessees. Not all applicants will qualify. No purchase option at lease end. Total monthly payments $13,284. Lessee responsible for maintenance, excessive wear/tear, and 20 cents per mile over 20,000 miles per year. Lease includes Roadside Assistance, up to $15,000 of hydrogen fuel, and up to 21 days Avis luxury rental car. Total due at lease signing is $2,868 plus tax and registration and includes first month's payment and capitalized cost reduction of $2,499. Offer ends March 31, 2017. Please see your authorized Honda Clarity dealer for complete details. Accessories sold separately. See Honda Clarity dealer for details.